With the start of the school year quickly approaching, we want parents and students to feel prepared and ready to start off on the right foot. From getting a nutritious breakfast to managing back-to-school anxiety, we’ve got a few quick tips to help kick off the new school year on a positive note.
5 Back-to-School Tips
- Allow time for and find a good space for homework. It’s important that children have a quiet and consistent work space (a specific spot at the kitchen table or a little nook in a bedroom). In addition, allowing for plenty of time to study, complete homework or assignments and prepare for the next day can help them feel ready and successful each day.
- Be prepared for the day and eat breakfast. Whether children are provided with a meal at school or home, it’s key that they start the day with a healthy and filling breakfast. When children eat a good breakfast, it helps them to stay concentrated and focused throughout the morning and into the rest of the day.
- Ensure you are getting enough sleep. If kids don’t get enough sleep each night throughout the week, it can be challenging to stay focused on tasks during the day or even throughout class time. Depending on the child’s age the optimal amount to sleep can range from eight to 12 hours of sleep a night.
- Keep an eye out for Back-to-school anxiety: Returning to school after extended time away can be a source of stress and worry for kids and parents. For many children – especially those with existing mental health and behavioral challenges – adult support and understanding can help. Acknowledging the signs of anxiety and knowing how to provide support can make a great impact for those with these worries.
- Stay safe on the way to and from school: Whether you’re riding the bus or bike, or going by car or by foot, it’s important to keep safety top of mind and be aware of your surroundings. Use safety equipment like seatbelts in the car and on the bus and a helmet while biking. Remember to walk on the sidewalk and stay seated while on the bus.
Support our Annual Back to School Drive
Children’s Home Society of Florida Back-to-School Drive is in full swing now until August 31. Our students, families, team members and school based programs need your help as they prepare for a new academic year. You can ensure that kids enter the classroom prepared and ready to learn by donating much needed school supplies.
There are two ways to give: Amazon Wish Lists have been created for CHS programs across the state or you can shop for requested back to school items online and have them shipped directly to the program in need.
For more information on this drive visit chsfl.org/backtoschool